If you are thinking about becoming a security guard, door supervisor or a CCTV operator, you will need to get the correct security training for those jobs and then get your SIA licence before you can start working. Your first step on the security work ladder is getting the right training. Finding the right training provider and getting on the correct security training course can be tricky if you don’t know where to look. The following few pointers should make it easier and will ensure that you don’t waste your time and money doing a course which isn’t right for you.
- Do search for the correct security training course and provider online. The SIA website provides details of their approved security training providers and will list the types of qualifications for the jobs you are wanting to do.
- Do think carefully about the type of person you are before you choose the right training course. Door supervisors need to be good with people and communicative. However if you are a more solitary type of person, CCTV training might be better for you.
- Do remember to research the training company you choose. Check out review sites and look at their website before you sign up. In particular check out their pass rate for the course you have chosen. Most security training providers now guarantee a 100% pass rate – this means they will put in the extra effort needed to ensure you pass.
- Don’t forget to study. Just because you are doing a training curse with a good provider, it doesn’t mean you can skive off and let it happen. Passing a door supervisor training course or any of other ones available takes dedication and a good work ethic.
- Don’t takes the security training course and then forget to get or renew your SIA licence. You have a couple of years between passing the training course and having to get your licence, but you will never get a job unless you have your licence sorted. So make this a priority. Also, never forget to renew your SIA licence when the time is right - because it will land you in a whole lot of hot water if you forget.
Security training is a very worthwhile investment in your future job prospects. With the range of jobs available and the rise in the industry in the last few years – getting security training is a great idea.
Tags: good security training, sia training providers, uk sia licence providers